6.28.2005

She's got an old death kit she's been meaning to use.

A pox on Einstein's Bagels. The venerable breakfast/lunch establishment has gone over the line. They have stooped to the lowest levels of corporate malfeasance. Let me tell you a story.

My favorite item at said Bagel shop (which I only get on rare occasions because of its status qua ridiculously bad for you) is the bacon-and-cheddar bagel sandwich. NOTE, however, that such a sandwich is not on their menu. They do, however, have a bacon-and-cheddar EGG sandwhich, which I detest. Now, up to the unfortunate date in question, when I ordered my bacon-and-cheddar bagel sandwich, they would charge me for a bagel, plus cheddar, plus bacon. Completely rational! Totally accurate to my order! The whole she-bang came to something like $3. Anyway, a week-or-so ago I attempted to order my bacon-and-cheddar bagel sandwich, and they charged me for the bacon-and-cheddar EGG sandwich. I corrected their mistake (the egg sandwich comes to something like $4). Nevertheless, they told me that, though they had that option in the computers, and could ring me up in the totally rational, totally accurate way, it was new "company policy" to charge me for the egg sandwich, and then simply not give me the egg.

WHAT?!?! So, it's now company policy to charge me for things that I don't order? (Not to mention that what I was actually paying for was never displayed during this transaction, i.e., had I never had the experience of paying for the order rung up accurately, I would have never known I was being overcharged.) Damn! If you're not outraged, your not paying attention. I mean, I could understand if the only way they could ring me up for my order was by doing the egg sandwich, minus the egg. But that's NOT the only way they can ring it up! They totally CAN charge me correctly! AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!! UNSCRUPULOUS!!! I can't do this by myself people. What difference can one man make in this crazy world? But if we band together, we can put an end to ridiculous bagel surcharges! Who's with me??

In other news, I watched Barry Lyndon last night. I'm still digesting it. It's a VERY long, sprawling film. VERY slow. It has some nice, typical Kubrick elements, however (Lord Bullington's walk into the club to demand satisfaction is straight out of The Shining). Nevertheless, I think I was a little disappointed. Though it was positively gorgeous, I was hoping for a little more than an exercise in creative cinematography. Oh well. Perhaps I might change my views after a few days of reflective consideration. In addition, I've been working on another song for a while now, and I'm once again hampered by the inability to write lyrics. I'm serious - if anyone has some good ones lying around that would work for a chorus in 7/4 at about quarter=160, lemme know. As it stands, however, I'm stuck on a verse that tells the story of a young American gentleman being bilked out of his rightfully earned breakfast. Somehow I'm thinking this is not universal enough for wide acceptance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home