6.17.2005

I said to my reflection, "Let's get out of this place!"

For some reason, a reading group of which I am a member decided to meet at 9am today, the first Friday of the first week of summer, to discuss some stuff on David Hume. Now, the discussion was enlightening and all that, and helped me further a few thoughts of my own on a Humean-inspired project I'm currently fussing about, but fer chrissakes, 9AM ON THE FIRST FRIDAY OF THE FIRST WEEK OF SUMMER?!?! Dang. I was wantin' to sleep in and all that.

Tonight I'm going over to the house where a friend is dogsitting to show a few people "Stop Making Sense" by the Talking Heads, just received from Netflix. It's gonna be fun a) because it's been a long time since I've seen that and b) it's a really really fun video. Dang you, Klaus, I even like the Tom Tom Club song. Classic moments include David Byrne singing perhaps the most honest, tender love song I've ever heard to a lamp, the Big Suit, etc. I'm planning on drinking a little bourbon and perhaps also shooting a little stick. It should be fun. Much of the gang will be there: the Turtle, Math Rock, Mrs. Robinson, maybe the Graduate.

My general mood today is a little weird. I had to do something yesterday that I knew was coming but was not particularly happy about. It's for the best, I'm sure, but in the meantime it sucks. Sorry for the crypticality, but you know, secret stuff and all that.

I'm currently trying to get a little dissertation work done before I head on over to the Turtle's place. I'm currently revising Chapter 2, which has my arguments against all other relevant philosophers. Problem is, I have to clear one hurdle at the very beginning, and I don't think what I have to say so far is particularly compelling. Nozick's position is just so damned implausible, it's hard to say anything compelling about it. I sound like I'm just dismissing it, which I shouldn't be. Ugh. I have one measly argument against his Wilt Chamberlain case, but so far I'm really grasping at straws. Perhaps inspiration will strike tomorrow. Or tonight after bourbon and stick.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home