1.11.2006

Hmm.

I don't think I like this much. One question, I suppose, is whether there will be a reasonable demarcation between type 1 diabetics (insulin dependent, juvenile onset, unrelated to obesity, etc.) and type 2 diabetics, which can develop as a result of obesity or poor exercise habits. I don't think there's a sinly type 1 diabetic that doesn't take it seriously, given that, well, if you don't you'll die. It seems to me that this policy is incredibly patronizing, but there is something to be said for improving overall health. But one wonders. Will this really improve health? I suppose the reason for doing this with communicable diseases is that it prevents others from getting sick. But this is not going to prevent anyone from becoming diabetic. I suppose I'd be for a massive government program that sought to stop people from getting diabetes, but it seems to me that this program is not likely to bring major benefits, and is likely to disadvantage members of the population, especially type 1 diabetics, that are already disadvantaged given their disease, by bringing them under further government watch, and potentially opening them up for problems in getting health insurance and jobs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home