12.28.2005

They chose a new form for him - that of a giant Slor.

It's been a long time, and I have quite a bit to recap. Sorry for the long absence. Stories of hallucinations and family misery follow. Be warned.

December 24th -

It was a pretty relaxing day. My sister was supposed to come by and bake cookies, but didn't end up showing up until around 7pm. Instead, Mom and I baked pies. I made a variant of my Sour Cream Cherry Pie, mostly because I couldn't find any cherries. Instead I made a sweet tart Cranberry pie. It was super good. Here's the recipie. (You can keep your piehole shut.) Sorry it's not vegan-friendly.

1 1/2 cup Cranberries (fresh or thawed)
3 eggs
3/4 cup sour cream
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
pie crust

First, add the cranberries to the pie crust; they should form basically one and a half layers on the bottom of the crust. Vary the berries to achieve that result.
Second, beat the eggs super-good.
Third, add the sour cream and sugar to the eggs. Beat super-good until very smooth.
Then add the extract and salt; stir.
Add mixture to pie w/berries. Bake at 375 for about 25 minutes or until the center of the pie is set - until it's no longer watery or jiggly. Refrigerate pie. Eat.

So that recipie worked out fairly well. After that, I had a shitload of uneaten cranberries, so I tried to make a cranberry pudding, which was the largest disaster in the history of culinary preparation. Basically the pudding was made of cranberries and molasses, which sounds intriguing until you actually taste the flavors involved. Definitely disgusting. Don't ever make a recipie that calls for cranberries and molasses. Unless you would like to bring shame on yourself and on the memories of your ancestors.

Finally, and 3/4ths of the way through Goldfinger on Spike TV, my sister shows up, ooing and aaing about a new beau that she met, like, a week ago at her new megachurch. We eat Christmas dinner and she starts throwing a fit about going to the midnight church service, which is like, waaaaaaay too late for me. Anyway, we go, and I run into some people from my high school days that I don't really say "hi" to - how rude they must think me! I tried to add the dominant 7ths to all of the hymns, which amused me, but I don't think amused any of the people sitting around me.

December 25th -

Everybody wakes up at around 10:30, which is a big change for Christmas morning. I guess when it's only three people, and the youngest one is 26, it's less important to get right into those presents. Anyway, I picked up a copy of the Herzog/Kinski Collection, a couple of shirts, the new Criterion edition of "Tanner '88", and an autographed graphic novel called "Capote in Kansas", done by Ande Parks, who lives in my little town, and is a friend of my Mom's. Apparently he also does a bunch of illustrating for some other comic books like Green Arrow, etc. Anyway, it's pretty interesting. To keep up the Capote in Kansas theme of Christmas Day, we went to Capote, which is a very well-done film, especially given the performances. Everybody's talking about Philip Seymour-Hoffman, but I think Catherine Keener deserves just as much praise as Harper Lee.

That evening was quiet. As usual.

December 26th -

Went into Lawrence to try to get a new remote for my mom's TV, one that would allow her to fix some of the display settings. No dice. However, I did buy the newly-released Grizzly Man on DVD, which I watched later that day at a friend's girlfriend's house (the movie is even more chilling the second time around; it's pretty clear that Treadwell is not only struggling for a life-project, but is also struggling for a sexual identity, and is also struggling to channel his anger in a way that reflects his mischosen life-project and sexual identity), followed by a jaunt into downtown Kansas City for a Mongolian grill-type dinner. The Grill part was quite good, but I have to say that I ordered an appetizer called "Chili Wontons", which sounded, like, super-good from the description, but which had the following, overwhelming problem: the wontons were drowning in cilantro. Like, drowning. This has a decided tendency to overwhelm the spicy aspects and make for an extreme, well, cilantro flavor. To be avoided at all costs. After this, we went back and watched football on TV, because the friend's girlfriend appears to be something of a football junky. I left after that.

December 27th -

Mom and I decided to go into KC to hit the after-Christmas sales. I bought a couple of nice shirts and a new blazer, the only accompanying problem was the french-cuffedness of the shirts, especially given that I didn't own a pair of cufflinks with which to link the french cuffs. Apparently, cufflinks run in the $25-$35 dollar range - much more than I paid for the shirts I bought. Also, I found, it's very difficult to find a tie that will go well with a turquoise shirt. I settled on solid black, which means that I didn't have to buy a new tie. After a new pair of shoes, we returned home, only to find that my sister had once again given up on pursuing a relationship with my dad. This seriously harshed the buzz of the day, given that my mom ended up in tears, as did basically everyone involved. Not to put too fine a point on it, but my dad is being an extreme pissant, needs to apologize, but continually tries to play the victim. Which is hard to do given that he's the one that started all the family problems, anyway. It was pretty depressing to think back to Thanksgiving - there were many families represented, but the only males over 25 were me, my Uncle, and my grandfather. Here's hoping I don't turn out like my dad - or any of my missing uncles.

December 28th -

Not much to tell about today, except that I had a very very strange dream, which involved Shelby playing an open-mic show in which he played two songs, one with a sort of half-guitar half-dulcimer type instrument, the other a cover of Radiohead's "Idioteque", played by him in a sound-booth consisting of several items of trash being dropped on the floor and amplified. And some rugs. I don't quite remember what the rugs did, but anyway, there were a bunch of Persian rugs involved. I also had a dream about being naked running through the Bodlein Library in Oxford trying to return books. Which is strange because I've only ever been naked running through the Widener Library at Harvard. Go figure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home