1.02.2006

That's why, for me, the earth is flat.

So, apparently, this little thingy of mine has a wider readership than I had originally anticipated, because when I showed up at the dude's apartment, Meister Brau in hand, everybody was, like, way better-dressed than me. Why do you people take me so seriously?! Anyway, I had a tie on, blazer and jeans, but everybody else had the whole "prom night" thing going on, so I looked like I was the only one not taking my advice. Oh, sweet obscurity...where didst thou go?

Anyway, I stayed waaaaay too late because I felt drunk, but couldn't understand why because I had eaten all sorts of food and, realistically, didn't drink that much. Turns out it wasn't booze at all, but sugar; I was in the dangerously high range when I got home. Man. Whaddya gonna do? Anyway, I took some drugs and sacked out, only to get up the next morning and pig out again at the Hash House. Oh, sweet moderation...where didst thou go?

Later that day I finished the novel I had been reading, which was extremely worthwhile, but it wasn't the barnburner of an ending all the reviewers had promised. Frankly, I was a little underwhelmed. It all hinges on this one guy doing something that you would never expect because it's so heinous - but I guess as a film noir devotee and moral philosopher, it's tough to come up with some sort of horrendous action that shocks me into believing no one could actually do it. Maybe for those people who aren't coming up with: "OK-the-terrorists-are-going-to-blow-up-New-York-if-you-don't-kill-your-mom-what-do-you-do"-type examples every single day the book would be a lot more shocking than I found it.

Today I woke up early, got dressed and made my way to campus, only to realize that because New Year's Day was on a Sunday, the world is still shut down until tomorrow. No mail, no school, no nothing. Went all the way there to go to the pharmacy, and the dang thing was closed. People need to quit lollygagging around and get to dang work, for a change. Enough of these makeup holidays! Well, I guess I don't really think that. Or do I? I guess as an academic, all of these holiday-type things, especially the ones over summer and winter break are decidedly irrelevant. It's like the world keeps going for me except I can't mail a package or get a cashier's check. Not that I'm getting all sorts of cashier's checks, or anything, but you know. It's the principle of the thing.

But the thing that sums up my last few days best is boredom. Even the Kids in the Hall haven't really been getting me excited about anything. Bored bored bored. Bored beyond belief. Well, maybe not beyond belief, but you know, beyond the general level of boredom I experience on most days. Even "Jeopardy" doesn't sound all that amusing. And that's saying something.

3 Comments:

Blogger Matthew J. Brown said...

For the record, I think that was iced oatmeal cookies, not Meister Brau.

10:39 PM  
Blogger Evan said...

Also I was wearing jeans too, Mr. French Cuffs

12:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For your information, she's also a smack junkie.


-Shelby

3:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home