12.23.2005

More observations

1. I think I prefer Iron Chef America to the original Iron Chef. There are a couple of reasons for this. First, Alton Brown is the host. I love that guy. Second, though I'm a relatively adventurous eater, it's usually only about 10% of the dishes I would try on the original. For the Iron Chef America, it's more like 90%. Third, and this is the most important, the comment section, when the judges are actually trying the food is not simply lauditory. There is actually a lot of criticism. "I can't believe I ate that sausage, it was so bland." "I had no expectations for the cranberries, and they met my expectations," etc. Some of the criticisms are pretty stinging. I find that much more interesting that people just ooing and ahhing the whole time. The one drawback, of course, is the chairman is not nearly as flamboyant as the old guy, but it's a small thing.

2. I've all of a sudden become concerned about the difference between vanilla extract and almond extract. How did this happen??

3. I'm spending a lot more money on Christmas gifts this year than in previous years. Perhaps it's because I have a little bit more money to spend this year, but it might also be just because I haven't been home for a year. Perhaps that's putting me in a spending mood.

4. I'm really enjoying the tawdry thriller I bought in Oklahoma City, and am now halfway through. Here's a picture:



It's pretty good, I have to say. And, I also have to say, that 250 pages in just over four weeks is pretty dang good progress for me on a novel.

That is all.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Castrato said...

alton brown is the best. my wife watches food network way more than i would like, so i am familiar with many of the show hosts: paula dean, rachael ray, ina garten, michael chiorello, etc etc. they all suck. alton brown's show is frickin funny AND educational. i dont care what he makes, his show rules. and his contributions to iron chef america also rule.

9:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home