12.23.2005

I think I'm startin' to lose it, ooh-ooh.

Ok, so I'm going a little stir-crazy. I haven't much been out of the house in a week or so. I was supposed to go out tonight with an old friend of mine, who cancelled at the last minute in favor of cooking pasta. So I decided to venture out by meself, as sad as that seems. I don't think I'm going to do any solo drinking, but I sure feel like it. I might go see Good Night and Good Luck, which opened today in Kansas (sometimes it's nice being away from the coasts - the movies you thought were gone are opening). Or I might go play pool somewhere. Or call it an early night. I dunno. I'm slightly annoyed, though, because Friday night in Lawrence is always a, well, decent time. Maybe I'll get a glass of wine somewhere.

Sorry. I feel like I'm just complaining, when I've had a decent day, albeit by myself. I went and looked around at Half-Priced Books, which is one of the most amazing stores on the planet. I found three copies of a hardcover book I wanted for a paltry $9.98, which is peanuts in the academic publishing industry. Brand new! Never read! I like that place. Some decent CDs and DVDs, too, although I should probably hold off on buying anything like that until after Christmas, given that it's likely my family will have gotten me just that sort of thing, or gift certificates, or cash.

After that I had lunch at the Cheese and Salami Shoppe. This was nice, the sandwich was exceptionally good, but the guy working the register was a real pissant. I thought I could get by on a sandwich and no chips, and when I decided that my effort was futile and went to order the chips, he said something like: "You know, I find that it's good to each chips with the sandwich, not so much afterward." Jackass.

I wandered through what looked to be an interesting bookshop, although it turned out to be a Christian book store with a somewhat scholarly bent. That's better, I guess, than the alternative. But I found a coffee shop with wireless, and started playing a little N and working on Chapter One, which is nearly totally revised. Hopefully. I did, however, come up against an incredibly difficult N level, that I think might actually be impossible. It's level four of episode 27. Dang if I can figure that one out.

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Here's how my strategy goes: move immediately left, but not far enough to open the door. Wait until the first seeker to pass you moves about halfway up the left wall. Move one space to the left, so that the rightmost seeker dives down at you. Wait half a second, then initiate a wall jump off the left wall. The left seeker will then dive at you, and if timed correctly you can get your walljump to take you to the right, and between the two down-moving seekers. Continue walljumps to the exit at top right.

Hit up the big gold deposit, then get the switch at the right side, avoiding thwomps. You will have to sort of stall yourself as you head down the slope back to the vertical shaft. Wait for the seekers to basically do the reverse pattern as when you were ascending, then dodge them down and get through the door asap.

In the big room, just walljump up the left wall until the missile hits beneath you, then over to the trampoline. Steer over to the door area and crash on in.

7:23 PM  
Blogger dd0031 said...

Yeah, I can get up just fine. And I think once I get down, the stuff with the missle will be easy. I just can't get DOWN for the life of me. It's killin' me.

7:20 AM  
Blogger Christa said...

i'm still trying to figure out the counterpoint on shake the disease. this is the first time i've listened to the song since our conversation. ... i thought i got it at that time. not so much anymore.

3:49 AM  
Blogger dd0031 said...

Ok. I'm referring to the version of Shake the Disease from 101, and only 101, because I don't think the singles version has it. Anyway, here goes.

It starts out with Marting Gore Groaning. Call this "Groaning". Then the theme comes in. Call this "Theme", midway through Theme, Groaning comes back in. After the second Groaning, is the counterpoint. Call this "Counterpoint." Counterpoint lasts, according to my ipod, from :23 to :42 of the intro to the song. Not really all that long, but seriously cool.

Hey, didn't we have some agreement to trade CD's? What happened to this?

12:48 PM  
Blogger Christa said...

okay. sorry to make you explain this 20 times. ...

we can still do the swap. just send me an email with your address and i'll get you cracker cracker.

10:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home