7.01.2005

There's only one man who would dare give me the raspberry.

You might recall in a recent post that my dad just accepted a job in Redlands, CA. He doesn't start officially until the beginning of August, but he was out here this week just to take a look around, go to meetings, and select furniture for his new house that they're building (or, I should say, renovating) for him. I went up there yesterday to see the place and ended up staying the night.

DALE'S REDLANDS TRAVELOGUE:

1. Morning. No clean clothes. Must do a hurried laundry job. JERKS didn't realize that you're supposed to wait TEN MINUTES before touching your clothes in the dryer. I hate that. I hate it when people don't wait and are all touchy-feely with your clothes. Anyway, laundry done. Realize I don't have firewire cable, can't charge iPod, essential for trip. Go to campus.

2. Campus. Get firewire cable. Realize I'm parked in a 15 minute spot and have to leave soon. Run to convenience store to grab bottle of coke and bottle of water. Get to car. Realize the bottle of water was not water but was rather Dasani RASPBERRY water. Ugh. I mean, I like me some raspberry, but in the water? Trip starts out on a bad note.

3. Riverside, CA. Riverside has got to be the worst place on planet earth to get caught in a traffic jam. Smog, total lack of scenery, no clear stations conducive to clear iPod FM transmission. Getting madder.

4. Riverside, CA. Getting madder.

5. Redlands, CA. Arrive at the prescribed hotel, but early. Get key left at hotel desk, proceed to chill out in hotel room. Unfortunately, no wireless in hotel. However, there's a baseball game on TV, and I'm able to get a little dissertation work done. Actually, this was the best part of the trip. What I got done was not pretty, but it was a conceptual breakthrough. Booyeah.

6. Redlands, CA. Dad arrives. We go to look at the new house. It's gaudy in that "not-able-to-tell-it's-gaudy-from-the-street" kind of way. It has two, count 'em, two hot tubs (one indoors, one out), a pool, a basketball court, a tennis court, a mini-orchard with lemon, orange, avacado, nectarine, and peach trees, multiple fireplaces, etc., etc., etc. Pure opulence.

7. Redlands, CA. Dinner at the macaroni grill. Muy bien. Too much wine. Too much beer.

8. Redlands, CA. Check email at business center in hotel. Wrote what were probably some rather embarassing emails given my status qua drunk.

9. Sleepland, USA.

10. The 15. Traffic is much better on the return. Smooooooooooooooth sailin'.

I'm on campus now, and dang hungry. Lunch anyone?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home