5.30.2005

In this world, THE KIDS ARE INSANE!!

I got a call from my dad yesterday. It was sort of a surreal conversation. Suffice it to say, the upshot was that he was offered a job, which he took. The job was as president of a university. I shouldn't say which one; my dad says that he was given the job isn't public yet and although you guys aren't exactly reporters for Higher Education Gossip Weekly, I should keep it quiet. In any event, the important thing is that the university is a scant 1 and 1/2 hour drive from San Diego. That's right. He's comin' out this-a-way.

Strange. Strange strange strange. I mean, in one sense, it'll be nice to have him out here. It'll be nice to have family in the area. Turns out he's getting one hell of a nice house out of the deal, so it'll be nice to have somewhere to go to visit, a retreat, if you will, to finish my thesis. But on the other hand, it's so weird. This is my state. This is my part of the country. He's trapsing all over my turf. Now, all of a sudden, it's his turf too. Now add to that all the stuff about me being slightly annoyed at him for divorcing my mom after 30-odd years of marriage and shacking up with a whole 'nother family, it's just going to be a surreal experience.

I like his new family. The girls are really really nice. His new wife is, after you get past the layers of sugar, a nice enough person to be around. It's just weird.

I'm already slated to be taking care of his kids while he's gone. Well, not really taking care of, per se, but you know, watching the place. Since he's going to be travelling a lot, I'll be on call quite a bit, I imagine.

Urg.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see a house party in your future.


-Shelby

7:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home