6.03.2005

I'm tired of the soup du jour!!

Running on-campus errands is one of those activities that can either be really invigorating, or really horrible and depressing. Consider my attempt to change a grading option for an independent study I was doing from letter-grade to s-u. First, I went to the registrar's office. They tell me to go to the Office of Graduate Studies and Research. I go to OGSR.

OGSR LADY:
I don't know what the registrar's tellin' ya'. I haven't changed a grading option in years!

I go back to the registrar's.

REGISTRAR LADY:
Naw, we don't do that here. Graduate students do that through OGSR.

Back to OGSR.

OGSR LADY:
Oh, you want to change the grading option!

That time really sucked. Today, however, I was able to get my errands run with only a modicum of frustration, that arising because I have to pay 65 bucks as an "advancement fee". That sucks. And then, when I finish my dissertation, I'm going to have to pay $119 as a "thesis filing fee". What the fuck! I had miscellaneous fees. Anyway, apart from that I was able to go to the registrar's, the cashier's office, OGSR, the bookstore, and the post office without anything going horribly wrong. And that's pretty good, considering I went to five whole places where I had to deal with UCSD employees. Something usually goes wrong one out of every three or so such circumstances. But not this time. Way to go.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you mean. And how you feel. On the one hand, there are plenty of smart, competent people working at UCSD in clerical-type functions. Nevertheless, there's also plenty of ill-trained, inarticulate, lazy dipshits in those jobs too. Believe me, you're not the only one who's been shuttled back and forth, back and forth, back and forth by a bunch of dimwits who are trying their get rid of you in a way that conceals the fact that they basically don't know how to do their jobs.

Anyway, here's one way to cheer up. Check out a movie called "Layer Cake." Awesome, stylish, sophisticated crime thriller about the British underworld. Very violent. Has Sienna Miller, who's hot. Has great 80s music too.

2:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home