5.01.2005

She's got something you just can't touch; something mysterious.

Yesterday was very pleasant. I ended up going down toward the Ocean Beach area, looking to replace my thoroughly trashed Converse One-Stars. Had a tasty lunch at Hodad's (single bacon-cheese, fries, chocolate shake - good for what ails ya'). Eventually found the shoes I was looking for at this skateboard shoe-shop in Clairemont. Here's a sneak peak at 'em:

After I did all that, I achieved my grading goal for the day (6 papers total), and went off to $250's place to play a little poker. It was me, $250, MIT, and Hardbop. The poker was fun, especially because I was the big winner. I used a methodical approach. Nothing flashy, just wore them down. Well, wore $250 down. Hardbop also took home a little cash.

The funniest event of the night came when I tried to purchase beer for the party at the corner store by $250's place. When I went in there was nobody at the register, so I figured someone must eventually show up. I went back to the beer to check out the prices, and some guy walked past and asked me what I liked. Assuming he was in charge of the store, I wanted to know how much he wanted for the six-pack of Carlsberg.

MIDEASTERN SHOP OWNER:
Well, normally I charge $8.99. But for you, I make it, oh, $7.99.

DALE'S INTERNAL MONOLOGUE:
What the fuck? Is he haggling with me? Am I supposed to propose a counter-offer? That still seems a lot for a sixer of Carlsberg. What am I supposed to say?

DALE:
Thanks. I'll think about it.

DALE'S INTERNAL MONOLOGUE:
That seems like a lot. Maybe I'll get something cheaper, especially since I spent about a hundred bucks in the last couple of days on a movie, shoes, lunch, etc. I'll get this obviously cheaper six of Foster's.

[DALE picks up six of Foster's, gestures to the SHOP OWNER, indicating he's ready to purchase.]

MIDEASTERN SHOP OWNER:
You like that stuff?

DALE'S INTERNAL MONOLOGUE:
Is he criticizing my beer choice?

DALE:
You don't like Foster's?

MIDEASTERN SHOP OWNER:
I can't drink that stuff, man. Ok. That'll be $7.99, plus CRV, plus tax; comes to $9.89.

DALE'S INTERNAL MONOLOGUE:
A) I guess that's what I get for turning down his Carlsberg offer. B) TWO BUCKS FOR TAX?? I've never heard of that. This guy has got to be screwing me over. Come on, D; ask him for an explanation. Challenge him on the receipt. He's screwing you over!!

DALE:
Thanks! Have a nice night.

[Dale exits store.]

Ah, missed opportunities. But the Foster's was good, though. Screw you, Shop Owner.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must say these song lyric blog titles are wearing thin. Where's the creativity, Dorsey?


-Shelby

11:13 AM  
Blogger dd0031 said...

Hey, picking the right song lyric is an extremely creative process. And also you can cram it with walnuts, ugly.

11:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home