4.15.2005

A warm glass of shut-the-hell-up.

Finally finished watching Fitzcarraldo last night. Wow. What a spectacular movie. I was impressed by every facet of the production. Kinski's performance has got to be one of the best by a male lead I've ever seen. He goes from a bobby-hatch-worthy lunatic (during the bell-ringing scene) to the pinnacle of joy, to the final, proud, if tragic, figure. Great, great stuff. For anyone who hasn't seen it, I strongly urge you to check it out. Herzog continues to impress me. This movie is even more well-developed than his previous "boat-goes-down-the-river" movie, "Aguirre, the Wrath of God". It also has a somewhat more optimistic tone, even though it is, ultimately, insanely tragic. On that note, there are several great "boat-goes-down-the-river" movies. My top five:

1. Apocalypse Now
2. Fitzcarraldo
3. Hot Shots, Part Deux
4. Aguirre, the Wrath of God
5. The Mosquito Coast

For those of you sitting on the edge of your seats waiting for me to post new philosophical material, I should have a readable draft of "Epiphenomenal Respect" up on my papers page later today. I've been going back and forth between using the term "supervenient" and "epiphenomenal". I'm not convinced there's a difference at least as far as the content of my paper is concerned. So I went with the cooler-sounding word.

My cold seems to have narrowed its focus from my entire body to my throat. I'm able to walk around just fine, no longer have the chills, but I do have a nastily scratchy voicebox. For those of you who are tired of my constant talking, it should be a godsend. For those of you who can't get enough of my witty banter, I'm afraid you might be deprived of the stuff you crave for at least a little while. Oh, what am I saying? I can brave the pain. Don't say I never did nothin' for ya'.

1 Comments:

Blogger dd0031 said...

Whoops. I forgot "Deliverance." That's probably between Fitzcarraldo and Hot Shots, Part Deux.

3:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home