10.31.2005

Chaos, hostility, and murder.

This was sort of a crazy weekend. I went over to The Turtle's place on Friday for a little get together, though I couldn't stay all that long because I had to get up a five freakin' thirty in the morning. More on that later. The party was pretty cool, especially the Cajun Pumpkin Seeds. People were making costumes and pumpkins and the like. I was doing neither, really, but I was pleasantly entertained watching others do so. The one crappy thing about the party was that I learned almost everyone I was counting on pulled out of the Oktoberfest extravaganza. Dang. It didn't happen after all. I suppose it's not all bad. I saved some money by not doing it, but it is too bad in a certain sense.

The next day I had to get up at the crack of to get to Northridge, CA in time to go to the Southern California Philosophy Conference. The conference was a lot of fun; I think my paper went over fairly well. But Northridge is just another one of those LA suburban wastelands. Not too unpleasant, but not too pleasant neither. I got lunch at some place called The Falafel Palace. They gave me a free lunch card, which for some reason I kept, although it's highly unlikely that I'll ever go there again. By the time I got home, I was freaking tired.

No Oktoberfest Sunday, so I did some grading and tried to get some work done, and failed. I did manage to watch Brian DePalma's Blow Out, which is another in a long line of DePalma Rips Off x Movies. This one ripped off Antonioni, for the most part, The Parallax View for a smaller part. It was decent as thrillers go, but if you've seen either one of the previous movies, you've seen this one. It has a decent, ironic ending, though, which might be worth sitting through it.

That is all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home