9.18.2005

You know your culture from your trash.

Hey all. It's been a while, I know, but lest you think I've nothing left to say, think again. First, I had a hell of a good time in the Twin Cities. Normally, I'm given to calling that area just "Minneapolis", but since my kind and gracious hosts actually live in St. Paul (actually, a suburb of St. Paul named after a tree, somewhere between Maplewood and Woodbury), I've got to be more inclusive with my language.

I arrived last Sunday, Klaus had to take a shift at his place of employment, so I hung out with the Lady Klaus and Mugsy, heir to the house of Mayerling. Mugsy has developed into quite the mutterrer; he always seems like he has something to say, but just hasn't developed the neuronal structure to actually put them into English yet. But he's quite the happy kid. Which, I have to say, is a little contagious. Metaphorically speaking, of course. But he's actually literally contagious, given that I think he gave me some sort of cold while I was there. But that's largely beside the point. Anyway, the accommodations were exceptional. I had a working bed, massage table, personal sauna, full bar, and unfettered wireless internet access to the world outside. If you're ever in the Maplewood-Woodbury area, I highly recommend it.

Monday Klaus had to work again, so LK and MK and I watched Army of Darkness and, after Daddy got home, Bubba Ho-Tep. It was a Bruce Campbell marathon, done for a partly self-serving reason, because as a housewarming gift, I had gotten them his autobiography, and I had a sneaking suspicion that the Lady Klaus didn't know who BC was. Good times, I think, were had by all, but I'm not totally sure about that.

Tuesday I was thinking of getting a little work done, Klaus dropped me off on his way to a dentist appointment, and I tried to work a little bit on my dissertation, which wasn't all that successful. I spent most of the time at Panera Bread Company browsing through a Werner Herzog website. That night we watched Yojimbo, which was much better than I was anticipating.

The following day, we all hung out for awhile, we went downtown for lunch, and I happened to dine two tables down from my high school trombone-playing nemesis, John Trantor. Actually, he wasn't really my nemesis, as I'm sure he doesn't have any clue who I am. He was the "good player" when, as a young lad, I headed off to my first year of Midwestern Music Camp. I was thoroughly intimidated by him, as I should be. Apparently he's a professional now, which is a tough gig to get, I hear. Thank God I'm doing something where I could possibly make some money: philosophy. I didn't say anything to him, and the only reason I recognized him was the Lady Klaus's firm belief that we were sitting next to Hugh Laurie. Not so, but would that it would have been so.

That night we went to Minneapolis to have a few drinks with Christa. This was fun, and I proceeded to have waaaayyyy too many drinks. Normally my drinking is cut a little short by me opening my big mouth all the time, but as I really didn't have much to interject into the conversations between Klaus, the Lady Klaus, and Christa about people they used to work with, I spent a lot of time opening my mouth and pouring bourbon in it. We didn't get to go sing karaoke, like I desperately wanted to, but it was a good time anyway. For a more detailed version of events, visit Christa's site.

Hung out Thursday, stayed up late playing some video games, which were liberally interspersed throughout the week. Friday I went to a Twins game, my very first game at the Metrodome. Man, that place is loud. Loudest baseball game I've ever heard, and I've been to Fenway Park several times. Once when they were playing the Yankees! Anyway, it was fun, but the Twins lost in 10, which was disappointing to the Mayerlings. After a delicious breakfast the next day, sitting next to a fellow who looked a little bit too much like Klaus Kinski, I hopped a plane and arrived back in San Diego at 9:40 pm on the dot. Or somewhere roughly around the dot.

I took a few pictures, and I'll post some if I get them developed, and if they come out, and if I get them in an electronic format. All big 'if's'. I'm headed off to bed now, a little pissed off that some asshole in a Mitsubishi Montero Sport parked in my parking spot. If it's there in the morning, I'm havin' that sumbitch towed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home