9.26.2005

Weekend Wrap-Up

Hey. This weekend was, well, interesting. Started out with a meet-and-greet with the new graduate students in the department. Turns out I was able to neither meet nor greet any of them, given that they seemed to be huddled around, talking to themselves or one other graduate student. Oh well. Who needs 'em?, I say. Immediately after that I hitched a ride out of town (well, not hitched so much as drove) and went up to Redlands, to hang out a bit with my dad. That was fun, but Saturday was a little bit exhausting given the scope of the tour of this little town my dad took me on. Had a pretty nice lunch, though. It's funny to see people come introduce themselves to my dad, given that he's something of a big shot in that town, now. Oh well. There were a lot of funny things going on.

After coming back home, I wandered for several hours around the Adams Avenue Street Fair yesterday, which was super-cool! It started with a delectible pancake breakfast and an hour or so spent wandering around all the booths. Man, there must have been fifteen hundred booths full of a lot of cheap crap, although some of the stuff was relatively interesting. It was strange: you had your standard street fair jewelry dealers, face-painters, t-shirt sellers, jamaican head shops, etc., but you also had booths for, like, mortgate companies and chiropractors. Like three booths offering a "Free Spinal Analysis!". Weird. For lunch I had a freshly made corn dog and some really interesting juice from a Mexical juice vendor; basically it was cantaloupe puree with some water in it. Very good.

Watched the season premiere of the West Wing, which was disappointing in the extreme, and then took in My Best Fiend. It's funny; I guess I was expecting something different from MBF; Kinski didn't come across as that crazy a lunatic. I mean, he was clearly a lunatic, but I wish there was more footage of Kinski and less footage of Herzog talking about Kinski. Herzog himself comes across as a bit of a loon, especially where he's talking to the camera during the filming of Fitzcaralldo, suggesting that nature was awful, that the jungle was a place only of disgust and murder. This is also a little ironic because Herzog himself describes at least three separate threats/plans to murder Klaus Kinski. Maybe he was spending a little bit too much time in nature, or something.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home