9.22.2005

Just like you would to your girl or guy.

Signs that today is the First Day of School:

1. Traffic going to campus is at a complete standstill for about ten miles around La Jolla. Luckily, I got into the car early enough that I could listen to NPR rather than the crappy local San Diego show These Days, during which if I hear another use of the words "attorney", "pension", or "vibrant San Diego (BLANK) scene", I'm going to choke the person in the car next to me. (Who is within choking distance, given the absolute traffic standstill.) I mean, that show is bad. Yesterday they had something called the "Film Club of the Air", where two film critics got together to talk movies - they were constantly interrupting each other and neither of them seemed to have researched the movies they were talking about at all: "Oh, he played which character in that movie? Huh, I didn't notice..."

2. The City of San Diego starts construction on a bunch of streets around campus. This is a common problem around many college campuses in the US. It happened all the time when I was at Tufts. When the relationship between the school and the town is not at its best (as it is right now, given the fervent conservatism in many local political entities, and the belief that most colleges are havens of liberal academic elites), the school usually runs the show, given that most of the time it's an insitution of international reknown that lends some credibility to the city's existence. Anyway, one way that cities often stick it to the school is by starting a bunch of construction at inconvenient times (like the first day of school). Welcome back, jackasses.

3. The line at the coffee place stretches around the corner and is going nowhere. All these new freshman feel like they have to prepare themselves for the first day by purchasing half double-decaf half-caf mocha lattes with extra raspberry flavoring, gumming up the works for those of us who only want a stinkin' cup of coffee.

4. The new students are dazed, confused, and look like hell. I mean, I saw this one girl walking to class today in, I'm crappin' you negative, a pair of tweety-bird slippers. Slippers! I'm not one of those people that says you have to dress up for class. I'm not strict. I, often, don't really dress up for class, and I'm the one teaching it! But, I mean, slippers? Why slippers? Why not flip-flops, sandals, anything! It seems like to pick a pair of slippers rather than, say, flip-flops, means you're trying to set a personal precedent: "I don't care what you think, I'm going to come to class dressed however the hell I want. Pajamas, a bathing suit, a pair of velcro pants, whatever." And that pisses me off just a little.

5. Dale's pissed because last night he tried to go to 7-11 to redeem his "Free 1 Liter Dr. Pepper Product" cap, and was charged 19 cents. Well, that's not a sign that it's the beginning of school, per se, but it is a sign that society is headed toward a breakdown.

2 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Castrato said...

dale, you can remove the link to my blog from your page. i no longer maintain a blog.

1:45 PM  
Blogger Dr. Castrato said...

did you hear bill berg's wife had her baby? well she did. Jack Berg.

1:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home