5.25.2005

Better run run run run run run run away.

Music is bad.

Er, I don't mean music as a class - music, in itself, is not bad. I mean that, generally speaking, music is bad. Some music is good. Most music, on the other hand, is bad. And it's getting worse, too. Yesterday I was in my car listening to one of the few tolerable radio stations in San Diego (one that sometimes plays tunes I used to hear on 105.9 in high school). After hearing "Tommy the Cat" by Primus (a song I never really liked all that much), they played this pretty rockin' song. I vaguely remembered it from my high school days, but couldn't really place it.

ME
This is pretty rockin'. Not too bad, I have to say.

After the song was over, a few more played, and the DJ comes back on and tells me that after Primus, they played "Mother" by Danzig.

DANZIG?!?!?!

The same Danzig that I actively made fun of people for liking in HS? The same band that I actively disparaged, the one that, if it came on 105.9, I would turn the radio off?

Apparently.

There are only two explanations for my reaction to the song as it was played last night. First, that my preferences in music have so radically changed since high school that my current self would be ridiculed by my past self for thinking the song was "not too bad". This explanation has some credence. Don't we all think that the people we've become would have been ridiculed by past temporal stages of ourselves at some point? Don't we all get a little lamer, even by our own previous standards? Perhaps, but I think there's a better explanation. The better explanation is that "not too bad" is a relative predicate. When I said "Not too bad" last night, I really meant, "not too bad, considering all the other crap that's on the radio now." Music has gotten so bad, that I actually think that a song I would actively disparage people for listening to in better times is "not too bad". This is a sad, sad, sorry statement.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Option #3: Danzig's "Mother" is objectively good, and your past self was too naive to apprehend that fact.

3:47 PM  
Blogger dd0031 said...

Possible, but, let's face it, unlikely. I mean, what are the chances of me being wrong about something like this? I ask you!

3:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home