5.13.2005

Would you let me wash your hair? Could I make you breakfast sometime?

The hits just keep on coming. Got a call yesterday night from my insurance company, and apparently the person who hit me actually has no insurance. No freakin' insurance. That means that I'm going to have to go through my insurance company, pay the freakin' deductible, not get a rental car, and take the bus to school every day for the next few weeks. FUCK! They said they were going to sic collection agencies on this woman so I would at least get my deductible back, but I'm still going to be without a car for several weeks, most likely. This is precisely not what I needed right now.

Strangely enough, however, I'm a little stoic today. I don't think it's really sunk in yet. I did get a little good news today, I'm officially going to be taking fellowship and departmental TAships for next year, rather than having to work in the writing programs. Thank God. I've taught in the writing programs for two years now and I'm ready to be done. If all goes well, I'll be in the department next year, the following year, and then I'll be teaching somewhere the year after that. If all goes well.

Tomorrow I'm giving a paper at a little mini-conference here on a paper by Robert Pippin. It'll be interesting I think. Mostly I just hope my paper is not a total waste of time. I'm going last, though, so I'm going to try to jazz up my presentation a little bit so people aren't falling off to sleep. I'll probably do my pace-back-and-forth-and-yell-a-little-bit routine that seems to work well for me. I'll say lots of incendiary things about poor people and our obligations to them, and it'll be a happ'nin' good time. And I heard that lunch was going to be awesome.

2 Comments:

Blogger Matthew J. Brown said...

Mini-Conference: Awesome.

DD's paper: False, but pretty awesome.

Lunch: Eh... not so awesome.

12:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tell us about the conference, man. And diss this matt dude while you're at it.

4:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home