5.12.2005

Can't you see it's misery and torture for me?

The Honda Civic Car-Crash-o-Meter rolled over from '1' to '2' today. As I was driving down my little street to go to school, some moron in a Saturn pulled out from her parking lot right into my passenger side. This, of course, was obviously not my fault - but she comes tearing out of her car accusing me of speeding. This accusation was a) irrelevant, because I had the right of way and b) false, given that the person who pulled out right before her I thought was pulling out a little too close, causing me to slow way down. Anyway, I had a witness, so screw her.

Ugh. The car is (barely) drivable, though I really shouldn't be driving it, lest any more damage befall my poor Civic. Luckily my insurance company is going to start a claim for me with her insurance company and I'll be able to get a rental car while mine is being fixed. This tops off a shitty week. What could possibly happen to screw this week up any more? Don't answer that.

I watched "The Conversation" last night. It had been a few years since I'd seen it. Very good. But I think I was somewhat less moved by it this time - I think the slowdown in the middle section of the film is a little distracting. Coppola could have put together an incredibly tight thriller had he lopped off that middle section where they go back to his shop to party, or if they would have eliminated the seemingly pointless love story with Teri Garr. I mean, I suppose you have to establish that Harry Caul is this really really private guy, but I don't see how we don't already know that - you could keep the stuff back at his shop about the Teamsters' job, but just cut the other meandering stuff. That would have improved the movie, I think. But all things considered, a great example of a 70's paranoia movie. Other good examples are "Three Days of the Condor", "The Parallax View" (although I'm not super-wild about this one), "Capricorn One", etc.

Crap. I'd like this week to end sooner rather than later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home