3.01.2005

Or maybe the interior of somewhere like Siberia.

The great thing about having a new computer with a wireless connection is your ability to connect to other computers like yours who also have wireless connections and do some horse tradin'. Recently, for me, it's mostly been music related. A., yesterday, shot me, among other things, Frank Black's magnum opus Teenager of the Year. What a great freakin' record. The lyrics to the songs on this record are so interesting. It's like the best work of the Talking Heads in that way. Here's a little sampling:

I took three days to drive down one street / The radio on, tuned to the big fleet / Invisible planes are cracking the concrete / That's just what some people say / hey hey
I put down my blanket on Cigarette Butt Beach / I saw the old man, he was doing OK / He's making his last stand / On old bottles and cans / 'Round there, Calistan way / hey hey
Used to be sixteen lanes / Used to be Nuevo Spain / Used to be Juan Wayne / Used to be Mexico / Used to be Navajo / Used to be yippy-yay-I don't know
Went in from the weather when I got wheezy / I play some pachinko I play parchisi / And St. Anne is still making it breezy / In the valley of tar that once was L.A.
And my best friend he's the king of karaoke / He struck up a chord and he took it away / Out of the pan / And into Japan / 'Round there, Calistan way / hey hey
Used to be sixteen lanes / Used to be Juan Wayne / Used to be Mexican / Used to be Espano Nuevo / Used to be Navajo / Used to be yippy-yay-I don't know

That song also has this great rock-and-roll piano part. Very nice.

Guess I really don't have that much to say today. Last night was pretty low-key. I tried messing around on Cubase, but it unexpectedly quit as I was editing the tracks that I had recorded. Hey, anybody out there who's familiar with Cubase know how to change time signatures during a song? That one eluded me. One of the cool things about Cubase is its deepness regarding your ability to edit the sound of the tracks you've recorded. Bascially, I had about 1.5 minutes worth of sound on three separate guitar tracks, though because I don't have a real microphone, and because my roommate was home and hates it when I play the guitar amplified, I was basically playing an electric guitar, unamplified into the built-in microphone on my laptop. And dammit, it still sounded pretty good. Until it unexpectedly quit and I lost everything. That really sucked. After that I watched Zelig. That was also sub-par. It got me so down, I got me a headache.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Castrato said...

my heart's crammed in my cranium, and it still knows how to pound (how to pound!)

2:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home