2.21.2005

Weekend rundown.

So I got sorta' drunk on friday night. Not really, but just about as drunk as I ever get. I was starting fights about music left and right, as I recall. I was takin' down REM, Kurt Cobain (as opposed to Nirvana), I was promoting the virtues of Pablo Honey, "Your Mother Should Know" over "Hello, Goodbye", McCartney over Lennon, etc. Funny thing is that I believe most of these things anyway. Sometimes I pick fights when I'm drunk, but this time I was tellin' it like it is. Then, before the group of people I was with ended up in a hot tub for like two hours, I started playing a bunch of beach boys tunes on this guy's keyboard and wouldn't shut up about it. (I think.) I wonder if I pissed anybody off.

The rest of the weekend was surprisingly productive. I finished a first, though embarassingly bad, draft of Chapter Two of my dissertation. If anyone went to my webpage to download my prospects (like anyone did), you noticed the "Coming Soon!" where Chapter Two should have been. Anyway, there's a draft now. Thirty-one pages of philosophical goodness.

One funny thing happened to me on saturday night. I had invited a bunch of people over to my place to watch Nicolas Roeg's masterpiece of eerieness "Don't Look Now," which I had just received from Netflix. I was thinking like 8:30ish. Now, after no one showed, around 9pm I went back into my room and played around on my new computer (mostly on GarageBand, though it's a pretty crappy program, I have to say). But at 9:30, Adam and his date show up (am I supposed to be using aliases on this thing? screw it.). Of course, this is slightly surprising to me because of all the people I expected to show up, Adam was in the "least likely" bin, considering that I knew he was on the date, and had, on friday night in the hot tub, been acting like I had some sort of insight into how to treat women well on dates (considering I actually had gotten one to marry me, though we all know how that worked out). Considering "Show up at my place at 9:30, an hour after the movie was supposed to start, though actually have no one be there, Dale in his messy room playing GarageBand" was definitely on my "don't" list, I was a little surprised. Anyway, long story short, I felt sort of weird, like I was thrust into Adam's date somehow. I went from happily messing around on Garageband to third wheel in my own place feeling responsible (given the lack of people) for Adam's tough date. Talk about a turnaround. Good movie, though.

Wow, that was rambling. I rarely do that. Back to the tight, punchy prose style you all know and love tomorrow.

6 Comments:

Blogger Matthew J. Brown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:20 PM  
Blogger Matthew J. Brown said...

Can we, like, pretend that Friday never happened? :(

11:21 PM  
Blogger Dapper Dad said...

I've written some pretty kick-ass tunes on GarageBand, jerkoff.

10:39 PM  
Blogger Evan said...

I think most of us are willing to forget about Friday. I'll even overlook what Dale said about REM.

(Monster is so much better than Green. Punk.)

Anyways, I hear Reason is pretty good, softwarewise.

1:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why don't you move to the tundra? You can be the third wheel on our dates any time. Well, fourth wheel, considering that we already HAVE a third wheel LIVING with us.

And you have good taste in movies. We watched that one for Halloween this year, though most of the group ended up not really liking it that much.

R

7:21 AM  
Blogger Dr. Castrato said...

i like "your mother should know." the whole thing with that song is the middle interlude part, which is very pretty. but the rest of the song is basically the same thing over and over. A better choice from that era is "Fool on the Hill." Well, I guess that is the same over and over too. Whatever. Hello Goodbye is good stuff.

McCartney over Lennon is nothing new.

REM kinda blows. Still.

Although I like Nirvana, I wouldn't say Kurt Cobain was much of a songwriter.

8:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home