2.24.2005

Won't you chauffeur me.

Drat.

I found this message in my email inbox this morning:


Dale,

This is Donnie Hornberger. We are working on putting some information together for our reunion this summer. I was able to get a hold of your dad through some people at Baker, and he gave me your email. Could you please send me you mailing address and phone number. I really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Donnie


A couple of things race through my mind at once.

1. Am I that freaking old already?
2. I mean, John Cusack looked pretty old in Grosse Point Blanke. Am I as old as he was?
3. I never really got on all that well with Donnie Hornberger. I mean, he wasn't awful to me or anything, but it's wierd that after all these years I hear from someone who I considered to be less than friendly.
4. What the fuck? Am I gonna go? Am I seriously considering this?
5. I'm going to kill those people at Baker.

Ugh. I didn't have very many good experiences in high school. Most of it is stuff I'd rather forget, if I could. I know this isn't like some unique story, but I was a rather forgettable personage in high school. I seem to recall that I spent a lot of time working out the best senior quote for my yearbook. I picked out this great line from The Cure's "Like Cockatoos". In the end, it appeared in the yearbook like this:

"There are a thousand things" he said,
"I'll never say those things to you again."
And turning on his heel he left a blaze of bubbles bleeding in his stead
And in her head, a picture of a boy who left her lonely in the rain
And all around the night sang out
like cockaroos.

That's right. "Cockaroos." That typo pretty much sums up my whole high school experience.

This ten-year reunion, I dunno. I mean, I'd have to travel back to Kansas City during the summer. Maybe they'll schedule it during September when I'm scheduled to be teaching a class. Or maybe I'll tell them to cram it with walnuts.

4 Comments:

Blogger Dapper Dad said...

Don't you want to go and show what you've become: Commissioner of the kickest-assest baseball league around?

9:43 AM  
Blogger Dr. Castrato said...

I blew off my 10 year reunion, and I LIKED high school. At least, I liked senior year. I was a GOD (similar to my senior year at Drake). I ran the radio station, I was the shiznit sax player in jazz band, I played in the coolest ska band in school. I had many friends and few enemies. But I still didn't go to my reunion because it was freaking $75 to go, and it was held at a crappy frat-boy-type bar in Wrigleyville. I would have preferred a $10 reunion with punch and cookies in the school gym. But also, I still hang out with all the people from high school that I'm interested in hanging out with. I'm thinking the reunion would be kind of fun for a few minutes, until you actually had to talk to somebody you haven't seen in ten years. And have that same conversation with everyone there. Yuck.

2:06 PM  
Blogger Shelby said...

Shit, Matt, I'm gonna remember that "and I played in the coolest ska band in school" line. Hilarious.

Dale, fuck it. Donny Hornberger was a dick. Most people who will show up to that thing are gonna be the dicks. I live 60 miles away and there's no way you could get me to go to that.

Speaking of senior quotes, I really dropped the ball by not choosing the concise archers of loaf quote, "All fingers point, all fingers pry, stick out your thumb and watch me drive on by"

6:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd be torn about going. On the one hand I already talk to everyone I was friends with in high school: Nobody. And because my mom is the way she is, she clips every article in their community newspaper about everyone she remembers being in my class, my sister's class or somewhere in between along with everyone else whose name she vaguely remembers. Then she saves those clipping and gives me stack of them (plus old mail and coupons for things she thinks I may want to buy) every time she sees me to take home with me and peruse at my leisure. Plus, she and my dad talk to everyone's parents, so I am constantly getting info on who is engaged, who is pregnant and who is running for city council. Once I called the only person from high school I cared if I ever saw again because I was visiting the town she lived in. But she was too busy doing something with her dog to hang out. Then I sent her a Christmas card and didn't get one back. So I started to feel like a stalker and didn't try to make contact again.

Yeah, I don't know why I'd even begin to think about going to my reunion.

R

7:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home