12.08.2005

I got the moon, I got the cheese. I got the whole damn nation on its knees.

Yesterday I bought a stereo to fill out my decidedly stereo-less apartment. I haven't been able to listen to any proper music in over seven months if it wasn't comin' out of some white headphones. So I looked on Craigslist the other day and found a stereo with inputs (for the iPod and DVD Player) for a grand total of $5. So I bought it.

The journey to pick it up, however, was slightly more harrowing than actually paying the five dollars for the thing. The pickup point was in Pacific Beach which, for those of you people who haven't been there, is possibly the worst place to drive in the world. Well, maybe not the world. Actually, there are probably a lot of worse places to drive. Anyway, it's a crappy place to have to drive. Exhibit A: other drivers. Because PB is a big drinkin' neighborhood, you're likely to get someone who's a) drunk or b) on their way, impatiently, to get drunk. Either way, it's a no-win situation. And with stoplights every five feet, it's tough to get around. Exhibit B: lack of public restrooms. On my way down fabulous Grand Avenue last night, nature called. In fact, nature called multiple times. Nature really needed to get ahold of me. I was being phone-stalked by nature. I stopped at a 7-11. No dice. I stopped at an Am/Pm. No dice. Finally, as I was just about to give birth to my bladder right there in the car, I found a Wendy's that I ducked into and out of rather quickly. Of course, it was hell trying to get out of the Wendy's parking lot, because some asshole who was a) drunk, or b) on his way, impatiently, to get drunk, had blocked the exit, and the cars in the drive-thru had queued up behind him. So it took me about ten minutes to get out of there as the drive-thru line dissipated. So I had all the agony of waiting for the jerk to get done at the drive-thru, without actually getting myself a Big Bacon Deluxe Combo. (Which sort of sounds tasty right now.)

Today I finally finished the grading for this quarter. Which means that the next time I'm going to have to grade a student's work is two quarters from now! I'm on fellowship next term, baby! If all goes well, I should have a decent draft of my dissertation by the end of the quarter, seein's how that's the only thing I really have to work on. (Well, and a couple of other things, too; but this one takes the cake.) I stopped by Math Rock's place for a little chili in an impromptu celebration of the life of Dimebag Darrell, the late guitarist for Pantera. (I'm not a big fan, but, you know, it was a festive occasion.) We watched some Mr. Show and did some blind whisky taste-testing. That was fun - but I was getting tired so I left. Before midnight, even! I am an old man.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home