8.03.2005

The Unstoppable Trivia Machine

Trivia is getting to be an obsession with me. Not so much as with Uncle Barry, our fearless, but sometimes oppressive and annoying leader. Last night it was me, the Turtle, Uncle Barry, a gaggle of the Turtle's neighbors (who drove, supererogatorily enough), and me. By my reckoning, we trounced the competition. By the official score-keeper's reckoning, we won by one point, but the official score-keeper thought that Janet Leigh was still alive, so he's untrustworthy and unreliable.

I'm really really really tired this morning. I thought last night that for sure I was going to end up with a cold this morning but knock on wood, no cold. But tired. Unbelievably so. Worse yet, I have to talk about one of my favorite articles today in the class I'm teaching, but I doubt I'll have the energy to really put everything I have into it. Sucks. Maybe I'll get a second wind after I have lunch. And some coke.

I'll close with a puzzle. Though I love the Mighty Mighty Bosstones, some of their lyrics are downright puzzling. Of course, we all know about the problematic "Impression that I Get" line, where he says "I never had to knock on wood, but, whatever, it would suck if I had to," (I'm paraphrasing). It's clear that you knock on wood when things are precarious, but good. So when you knock on wood, that's a good thing. There are others, one of which I was noticing last night. Consider a great song, all things considered, "Jump Through the Hoops":

My job, it's a 9 to 5 nightmare.
I'm serving whiskey, stale wit, and beer.

Ok. So he's working at a bar. But is there a bar in existence that employs a bartender 9 to 5? I mean, maybe, but then he goes on to say that he's talking to all these customers, etc. Totally unrealistic. There are others (see "Our Only Weapon"). I could go on. But I won't.

2 Comments:

Blogger dd0031 said...

I deleted a section of this post, out of consideration for those involved. If you'd like a summary, email me.

3:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

here's some trivia for ya:

where in the WORLD is Carmen Sandiego?

8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home