7.28.2005

Hopelessly adrift in the eyes of the ghost, again.

I think I've stopped trusting everything. The mail, people, everything. If I can't do it myself, I fret about it until it finally gets done. If it finally gets done. I guess it's just the case that there have been too many times when really important stuff to me has been in the hands of other people (mailpersons, ex-roommates, ex-wives), and has been completely screwed from start to finish. I don't trust my roommate to send me the money he owes me, despite the fact that I really really need it. I don't trust the mail to deliver it if he does. The check should have gotten here, along with five hundred smakers from Geico. Neither showed up. I'm starting to get a little hot under the collar. If I were wearing a collar, which I'm not.

Is this unrealistic? Is it the case that it is part of the human condition to rely on others for our own happiness? It certainly seems true in my case. I watched a movie which suggests it's the case last night. "Blue" - the first one in the Three Colors Trilogy (Blue, White, Red; Liberty, Equality, Fraternity). It was an interesting exploration of a woman trying to be completely liberated from everything in her old life, material, spiritual, everything. The director didn't seem to think it was possible. After that, I went to the 7-11 and bought some Jiffy Cornbread Mix and made it in a pan on the stove. Yummy.

Take another example. I'm convinced that someone is pilfering my books. Now, this may not seem like a really big deal, but philosophy books are expensive. A standard paperback runs $30. Why so much? Well, publishers have to recoup costs somehow, and they know the people that buy these things have to buy them, whether for educational or professional reasons, and it's not as if someone strolling by Barnes and Noble would say: "Well, I wasn't thinking of buying Essays on Moral Realism, but it was on sale!" So it costs a lot to buy books. Now, the books in my office aren't arranged in any sort of order on my bookshelf, but I know where everything goes. And I know if one's missing, because there's a gap on the shelf. Ordinarily, the shelves are completely book-laden. Anyway, I come in today to find my copy of A Critique of Pure Reason out of its normal spot, and a blank space between A. J. Ayer's The Foundations of Empirical Knowledge and Charles Taylor's Multiculturalism. Earlier this month, my copy of Susan Haak's Evidence and Inquiry was totally misplaced by someone who was, apparently, ransacking my office. Society is crumbling.

In other news, does anyone seriously doubt that "Shake the Disease" is Martin Gore's best writing? Listen to that counterpoint!

9 Comments:

Blogger Christa said...

man. i totally cannot let this go. no, shake the disease is not martin gore's best writing. right dm era, wrong song.

1:33 PM  
Blogger dd0031 said...

But listen to that counterpoint!

1:37 PM  
Blogger Christa said...

what's a counterpoint?

did you know depeche mode has something new coming out in october? absolutely frightening. aside from a few songs here and there they should have stopped after black celebration or music for the masses.

2:08 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

dale, would you be so kind as to lend/send me some depeche mode? I need some educatin'.

3:54 PM  
Blogger dd0031 said...

You got it, Streed. I've got all you can handle.

8:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Depeche Mode sucks. So does the exercise in nitpicky language ruminations called Modern Philosophy. So does Dale.

Hey Dale, please review Nosferatu The Vampire on my movie board. Just kidding about you and your favorite band and your area of study. Actually I'm not, but does it even matter, Mr. Kant? Cogito Nerdo Dumb? Point/Counterpoint.

“Truth springs from argument amongst friends”
-David Hume


-Shelby

10:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dale: thought you might be interested in this:

http://www.metacritic.com/books/authors/ecoumberto/mysteriousflameofqueenloana


-Shelby

12:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

amen, sista. you can't depend on us for shiite. other people suck. they will ruin your life.

2:42 PM  
Anonymous Querido Contigo said...

Hi guys,

I cannot tell whether [i]Shake the Disease[/i] is the best [b]Depeche Mode[/b] song or not, nor can i say whether it's their best counterpoint effort or not, but i love it anyway.

Now, when it comes to counterpoint i'm afraid [b]Alan Wilder[/b] was the man.

Indeed, have a listen to (the) [i]Construction time again[/i] (era) and you'll find plenty of it. Now listen to anything since [b]Alan[/b] left in 1995 and you won't find much anymore.

6:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home