8.01.2005

It's trivia night; oh what a night.

So, despite my reservations about Uncle Barry, I decided to shimmy down to trivia last night. It was the last night I would have free before I started teaching for the summer, so I felt like a few overpriced pints of Stella Artois were in order. The rest of the day, however, was surprisingly productive. I found a pretty amazing coffee shop that meets all three of the coffee-shop-good-making properties (wireless, plastic, non-annoying clientele). Before this, I had only been able to get two of the three. Brilliant!

After that, I came home and decided to do some experimenting on Cubase, my music recording software. They have this "Truetape" mode that's supposed to produce a more faithful-to-analogue sound, so I did a quick cover version of "Leave in Silence" by Depeche Mode. The thing is a little frustrating, though. It's hard to do a lot of editing. The sound is great, I think, but I basically was unable to punch in-and-out to fix some of the more egregious errors.

Trivia night was really fun. We came in second place. We lost on a totally ambiguous question: "What is the world's largest fresh-water lake?" Well, largest on a map is Lake Superior. Largest by volume of water is Lake Baikal in Russia. The trivia woman refused to disambiguate her question. We guessed Baikal. She said Superior.

Actually, I don't even feel that bad. It wasn't like we deserved second place anyway. Apparently, Uncle Barry is a hardcore cheater. Cheats like crazy. We would have come in much worse than second had Barry not cheated. But as it was, we got fifty bucks of our bar tab paid. So the Stella Artois wasn't even overpriced after all.

After I cam home, I had another talk with Fink-Nottle. The guy's upset, and I can't blame him.

3 Comments:

Blogger Christa said...

clearly the von mayerling's didn't drag you to the duluth aquarium during any of your visits or you would have answered correctly.

its time to pull out a dusty recording of "the wreck of the edmund fitzgerald" by gordon lightfoot. the phrase "largest freshwater lake" are in the super secret ninth verse.

4:12 PM  
Blogger dd0031 said...

Quoth the encyclopeida:

The bottom of Lake Baikal is 1285 m below sea level and is the deepest continental rift on the earth. Its volume—23,000 km³—is approximately equal to the total volume of the 5 Great Lakes of North America, or to about 20% of the total fresh water on the earth.

It has a smaller surface area than Superior. "Large" is ambiguous, no matter what you Superior snobs say.

4:35 PM  
Blogger Christa said...

superior snobs is right! finally someone knows the REAL me.

5:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home