7.09.2005

Dontcha' cry no more.

Finally.

The lost city of gold.

Xanadu.

The city in the clouds.

The fountain of youth.

King Solomon's mines.

The lost arc.

The oddessy.

Princess Toadstool.

None of these epic quests has proved more difficult than my tedious, sometimes dangerous, mission to find decent karaoke in San Diego. At long last, my search is at an end.

Why is it that all the good karaoke joints are in bowling alleys? Last night me and a bunch of folks (it would be tedious to come up with names for all of these freakin' people, especially since most are likely to crop up on this space this one time; suffice it to say, the Turtle, the Turtle's roommates, his neighbors, and Math Rock) headed over to Kearny Mesa Bowl near my old abode. I watched them bowl a game, and then we sang the night away at a pretty good karaoke setup. HUGE book. I did a reasonably decent rendition of "King of Pain", although I made the mistake of following that up with "Suspicious Minds." The latter, though cool, is another example of a cool song that doesn't work as a tune over karaoke. Or so I found out. In any event, the Turtle did his rendition of "Baby One More Time" and Math Rock did "Our House" (not the "is a very very very fine house," but the "in the middle of our street").

Being in a blowing alley reminds me of the last time I had a decent time at a karaoke bar, at the Town Line Bowling Alley in Malden, MA with a bunch of Tufts people. That was pretty fun. I got to sing more that night, though, and picked better songs. Next time, next time.

After waking up this morning and taking another cold shower (aren't there supposed to be health/cosmetic benefits to taking cold showers? There freakin' better be), I headed out into the great unknown of my new neighborhood (which implied turning left on Adams Ave. rather than right), and found a pretty good-looking sandwich place I'm going to frequent for lunch, I think. In addition, I confirmed that there is a bevy of tickets available for the Fishbone show tonight at 'Canes, so I'm going to try to convince some sucka's to go with me. Who's in? Eh? YOU? Yeah. YOU.

4 Comments:

Blogger Christa said...

here is a karoake tip:
i like to keep a piece of paper with me at all times. a small list of songs that sound really good when sung in my shower/car/closet....

i add to it, try the songs eventually, and keep the ones i like.

its a good way to remember not to do suspicious minds (or any melissa etheridge, in my case) and that you should do king of pain (or i wanna be your lovah, in my case).

1:31 PM  
Blogger dd0031 said...

That's a good tip. I did notice that they had 'I wanna be your lover' as well as 'Cream' in the Prince repetoire last night. I had written 'Kiss' down, but they didn't get to that by the time the place shut down. Too bad. Next time.

2:25 PM  
Blogger Matthew J. Brown said...

That was a pretty sweet karaoke place. And the DJ was totally a nice guy, not a dick that required bribing. He even asked me where we were from, how we found the place, etc. Except for that guy almost fighting me, and the horrible rendition of Alanis, it went very well.

It was totally wicked, am I right?
I'm telling you! We had a time.
Didn't we? Didn't we have a time?

8:37 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

a guy almost fought you?

2:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home