2.16.2005

Shed my skin.

So the Reverend Derek Schoppa yesterday (super-props to the Rev.) sent me 19 Doctor Castrato tracks from my previous life as a hardworking entertainer. I have to say, they range from very very good, to bad, to horrible and embarassing. During our sophmore and junior years, we recorded eight songs in the studio, though Derek had, apparently, only four of those tracks. The four of those sound pretty darn good. They're "Anxiety", "Outta My Brain", "Chicago" and "Guy Named Rob". All good, fun stuff. Then it goes way way back into the "Skankin' the Monkey" period. There are some major problems with this stuff, including probably the worst song I ever wrote, "Why?". Why, indeed. But it has a nice recording of the song "Record Collection", that we stopped doing after awhile (I'm not sure why, it was decent enough). Then there's some live stuff; one song that I can't remember the name of. Also, my favorite of my latter-day writing period, "B.O.O.M.E.R.A.N.G.". Also, for some reason, Schoppa included on this disk a live version of Matt Barr and Chris Grenz's "Paper House". The last track on the record is a live version of "Bigger is Better". That song kicks.

Ah, nostalgia.

3 Comments:

Blogger Dapper Dad said...

How can the rest of us, who have been trying to varying degrees of success to describe The Doctor to their wives for six years, get their grubby paws on these tracks?

11:18 PM  
Blogger Dr. Castrato said...

Dudes, I have some Dr. C goods if you want a copy. I think I've got everything from the Studio, plus Skankin the Monkey, on CD. Plus I have the "mixed" versions of those 4 songs you mention, dale. i think I got those from Lonny WAY after the fact.

WHat I don't have, is an audio recording of the last show we did. I've got the video, but i never watch it. I forget how all those latter-period songs go. Like Sally, and Action, and even BOOMERANG.

1:31 PM  
Blogger dd0031 said...

Action! I can't remember that song at all. Maybe it's the one I have marked with a "?" on the trax page. I remember how Sally goes, but I haven't heard it since we last played it. Also I don't really remember "Stranger than Fiction" which is the one where we broke into an a cappella outro.

3:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home