12.01.2005

You behind the wheel, and me the passenger.

Awhile ago I bought an on-sale copy of the special 2-DVD set of "Depeche Mode 101". I'm dissatisfied with this purchase for two reasons.

Reason 1:

The second disk was supposed to contain the whole Rose Bowl concert from which the "Depeche Mode 101" CD was taken. It does not. Rather, it has some of the songs, but manifestly out of order, and in no particularly different versions than were actually shown in the "Depeche Mode 101" documentary. There are too many shots of the audience, and furthermore, they run "Never Let Me Down Again" after "Everything Counts", which, as everyone knows, is a horrible mistake, given that Depeche Mode always closed shows of that period with "Everything Counts". Ugh. No "Things You Said" - no "Shake the Disease". No nothin'.

Reason 2:

"Depeche Mode 101" is a lot more boring than I remember. Some of it is really interesting, like any bits where Alan Wilder is explaining how the band goes about doing things, or where the accountants are talking, or where the band is hanging out in the Country/Western music store in Nashville (Clerk: "Do you guys like bluegrass?" Martin Gore: "What's bluegrass?"). All that stuff is interesting. What isn't interesting are all these scenes with a bunch of miscellaneous fans on a bus getting drunk. And there are a LOT of those. Totally stupid. Why did they even have those people? It's almost half the damn movie! I guess in my recollection, I sort of erased the boring stuff. But let me tell you, there's a shitload of boring stuff. I'm convinced that D.A. Pennebaker, who made the film, did an astoundingly bad job.

NEW TOPIC!!

There are some times when I really develop a strong hatred for undergraduates. Not all the time. Most of the time I only think that the segment of undergraduates that are, well, let's just say "unmotivated", are worthy of hatred. But today, dang. These kids have no understanding of anything going on around them. I am trying to get from point A to point B in the middle of a crowd, following this one girl with an immense backpack, she's on her cell phone, and at one point she stops dead. I, of course, run into the monstrosity of a backpack she's got on, she turns, still on her cell phone and says: "Hey! Watch it!"

Ugh.

Also in the middle of this incredibly dense crowd of people was some jackass trying to ride his bike. He was trying to weave around people, essentially requiring everybody to get out of his way, lest he end up killing people. I can't stand this. Why can't people just get off their damn bikes, or, alternative, stupid cell phones?

Do I sound like a crotchety old man?

I've been trying to avoid that lately. And I think with a topic like this I come across too much like Mr. Wilson, or somebody complaining about kids these days. And, well, I am complaining about kids these days, so I guess you got me there. And what we me downloading all these records from 1993, it's possible that I am living up to that stereotype. I guess now all I need is a girlfriend significantly younger than I, and I can properly be described as "dirty" along with "old man". Here's shooting for the moon.

1 Comments:

Blogger Christa said...

oh my gosh i thought i was the only person i knew who had seen 101. i rented that enough times from blockbuster in my youth and managed to maintain goosebumps for two hours at a time.

my favorite part to this day is dg singing "love is the drug." it made me love that song.

10:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home