7.19.2005

Bon Jovi, and Other Reasons San Diego Sucks.

It's not particularly common that one runs across the same car in traffic more than once. Well, maybe it's more common than I think, but it certainly isn't all that common for you to notice one of the cars with which you're sharing traffic space, and then to share the same traffic space again with the very same car. Reason I say this is that a few weeks ago, I happened to be driving home from campus on the lovely 805 freeway, and happened to notice a car in the lane directly left of me. What originally caught my attention was a gigantic, you know, placard, or whatever you call those things that span the entire length of the top of one's back window (sometimes they say stupid things like NO FEAR, etc.). Anyway, this one said, in italics and a slightly tough-looking typeface, "BON JOVI".

Ok. Fine. So there's a Bon Jovi fan that unembarrasedly traverses the 805 in this day and age. What made this particular car stick out in my head was not just the placard (or whatever you call it). After this I happened to notice the license place frame that said: "I'd rather be at a Bon Jovi concert!" Hmm. I think I'm starting to pick up a pattern of strange obsession. I mean, I don't mean to trash on Bon Jovi, but even those people who listen to Bon Jovi nowadays don't develop the kind of fanatacism that would come along with a placard and a specialized license plate frame.

But then came the kicker.

The license plate frame was framing a license plate that read as follows: "I[heart]BNJVI". Really? You actually paid the DMV extra money, with a special little character, to declare your love for Bon Jovi? I mean, this car wasn't from the '80s. And it certainly couldn't have been either Bon Jovi or Richie Sambora, because it was a crappy banged up Saturn. Though their record sales aren't what they used to be, surely they could have afforded to drive something a step up. Maybe a Ford Focus, or a Honda Accord, even. And then, the other day, I happened to be travelling north on the beloved 805, and there chugging along happily was the aforementioned Bon Jovi car, placard, license plate frame, and all. I tell ya', it's a crazy world.

Speaking of craziness (how's that for a segue into a completely different topic?), San Diego just keeps getting crappier. I mean, the weather's nice and all, but this is quite possibly the worst-run city in the US. I mean, I've always known that the meteorologists are the largest bunch of incompetent fools on the face of the Earth, but now it appears it's worn off the the local politicians. Lemme recap (sorry if you're bored): in the last year, San Diego's credit rating has been suspended by Wall Street bankers because the city is something like $2 billion in debt over a pension fund that was never properly funded. An audit was performed, which Wall Street declared essential, but the results were sealed and never released. San Diego is still screwed. This led to the recent resignation of the mayor, a scant 2 months after he staged a long and costly court battle to wrest the election away from the properly elected write-in candidate Donna Frye. And it's just beginning. Last week one of our most important congressional representatives declared he would not run again because he is being investigated for graft and corruption. And then today, two city council members were convicted on a combined 20-some counts of extortion, corruption, and wire fraud for taking cash bribes to repeal San Diego's no-touch (read: no lapdance) rules concerning strip joints. What's worse, one of the guys convicted was the Acting Mayor (because the other mayor just resigned), and he has no responsibility to give up his office until he is sentenced. So we essentially have an official Mayor who is a convicted felon.

I tell ya', it's a crazy world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home