4.09.2005

Leukemia, Schizophrenia, Polyethylene.

Hey all. It's been awhile since I've updated this here 'blog. I guess I've had some sort of blogger's block, or something. There's been stuff to write about, but this definitely isn't the forum for it. I've been a little paranoid lately that too many people I don't know are reading this thing, which makes me nervous about what I post, but then I think: no! If every Tom, Dick, and Harry wants to read this, they're welcome. If anybody wants to catch a glimpse, I say enjoy the show. I just can't post all of my deep dark secrets. (Those are available by email.)

I just recently rediscovered Radiohead's mini-album released between OK and Kid A, "How Am I Driving?" It's pretty uneven, but it has one of my favorite all-time Radiohead songs on it: Polyethylene (Parts 1&2). This is an example of the sort of Radiohead I like: brash, brassy, bravado, bravura, with a little twist on the standard rock and roll structure. I generally like the songs where they turn Johnny Greenwood loose on the ol' six-string. But I don't want to be rehashing old topics.

I've found that having some means to record music has really gotten me back into a songwriting frame of mind. I just sat down today and came up with at least one lovely progression. I don't know if I'll have time to do anything with it for awhile now, but it's nice to know that I can still do stuff that's entertaining for me, if not for anyone else. Eventually I'm going to record a song with some huge trombone parts, maybe some that are even this big.

Showed up at Lancer's again last night. I think my billiards game is getting progressively worse. Played two games, sank one ball. One. Granted, I didn't have more than three or so turns (the guy I was playing was, frankly, talented), but it's still a little disappointing.

Wow. No unifying threads this time. Only a jumble. Sorry 'bout that. I'll have highly polished thoughts on life, the universe, and everything tomorrow.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, ok, so I've been lurking a bit. This is Greg from KC - got the link from Shelby. Thought I'd check the place out.

Anyway, if you haven't already, check out the My Iron Long EP - there are a few gems on that sucker. The Itch EP isn't too bad if you like their older stuff.

6:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unifying threads are boring. Rambling is SO much more amusing!

6:17 PM  
Blogger dd0031 said...

Hey, thanks for the comment, Greg. I do have those ep's, and the "my iron lung" one, is sweet-ass-sweet.

8:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home