3.12.2005

...and get some movement in your pants?

So, it's quite probable that I'm the greatest entertainer ever to set foot in San Diego county. Well, maybe the greatest entertainer ever to go to UCSD. Or, the greatest entertainer ever to enter UCSD's philosophy program. Well, probably the greatest entertainer currently enrolled in UCSD's graduate program. I think that's well established.

It's a regular occurence that certain members of this department will attempt to get a few more beers in me than I'm willing to drink at the pub to get me up on stage, singing, dancing, whatnot. Why, you ask? Take, for example, my San Diego Karaoke Champeenship performed at the Ocean Beach Octoberfest last year. I have to say, my version of Ike and Tina Turner's "Proud Mary" was showstopping. Perhaps even heartstopping? Actually, it wasn't really a championship; I was one of two asked back to perform the next night to establish the actual champion, but I didn't go. I felt that my greatness had been established. And also, the prize was a crappy $25 gift certificate to a karaoke store. Lame.

Anyway, I haven't been karaoke singing since, and I'm missing it slightly. Other people's descriptions of it make me long for those drunken nights at Mulligan's in Des Moines (the only decent bar in town - actually, strike that: the only bar we went to). So far I'm at a loss for places to get down in San Diego. There's the Lamplighter, but it's incredibly crowded, and you have to bribe the freakin' DJ to get your song played. What the hell? He should be bribing me! There are a few places that have nightly karaoke sessions, but mostly they're far from my place and in bars that I'm not particularly fond of. So the search goes on. As does the search for new repetoire. So far, at a moment's notice, I can bring action to a standstill with the following tunes:

Kiss, Sex Machine, Proud Mary, Burnin' Down the House, We Are the Champions, Anything from Purple Rain, Livin' on a Prayer.

I think I could do a fairly good job on:

Sledgehammer, Is She Really Going Out with Him?, Can't Get Enough of Your Love Babe.

There are probably a few others for which I'm qualified, but I can't think of them right now. Why, San Diego, must you rob yourself of me?

Of course, we should just forget about Klaus and I's duet on To All the Girls I've Loved Before.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Castrato said...

I think i've seen you (perhaps accompanied you) on a little "White Wedding" as well.
Let's get to rammin'.

9:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home