3.07.2006

NOTHING! ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!

I just realized something today, as I struggled to put together a paper on mercy, I realized something.

I am getting paid to do nothing.

That's right. Nothing. I'm on fellowship right now, and since I've already turned in the draft of my dissertation, I'm basically sitting on my ass until I get comments. Which, judging my the speed at which my advisors get things turned over, could be in the year 2525. If, of course, man is still alive.

In fact, it's not just like I'm getting paid and can choose to do whatever I want, you know, explore and write a number of different off-dissertation topic papers. Which I actually had been doing. It's actually worse if I do work. It's a little bit of a demerit. Every paper I write needs to get read by somebody, and since my advisors are basically struggling to get through the gigantor that is the d, it would not be a good thing for me if I were to give them even more. I mean, it would be good in one sense, but in a much more important sense, bad.

So the optimal situation, vis-a-vis my job, is for me to do nothing. Absolutely nothing.

It's worse than it sounds. I mean, I do get a monthly income for no work in San Diego, California, and it's basically sunny all the time. I also live three blocks from Balboa Park and the Frisbee Golf Course. But I also realized something else a few weeks ago, i.e., basically the only time I'm really satisfied is when I'm working. It sounds dumb, I know. But I suppose it's true. Goofing off makes me restless. The only goofing off I really enjoy is goofing off between periods of working. Am I crazy? Am I biting the hand that feeds me? Am I shunning perhaps the greatest period of life I will ever experience?

Time will tell, I suppose. Mercy calls.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Bastard..

Anyway, what is that song you're referencing, and who is it by?

11:40 PM  
Blogger Dr. Castrato said...

Zager and Evans, In The Year 2525

oddly enough, i found a broken copy of that 45 in my basement about a year after we moved in.

9:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home