2.20.2006

It turns out all I wanted was a club sandwich.

Last week was crazy, as I'm sure you all could guess by my total lack of posting. I was desperately trying to finish a first draft of my dissertation by the beginning of this week. Whew. Looks like I wrote a book. A five-Chapter, 197 page, 74000 word monstrosity. It is now in the hands of my advisors, and I have two options.

1. I can work like a dog on a few articles I'm in the middle of preparing (one requires only a few touch-ups, I think, one is midway through a first draft, one is merely in the conceptual stages).

2. I can put aside the articles and read a bunch of stuff that I totally neglected given the work I was doing on the thesis.

3. Go frisbee golfing. For three months.

It's likely it'll be a combination of 1 and 2, but 3 seems damn inviting. I'm going to be moving this weekend, and probably doing a lot of stuff around the house in the meantime, so the temptation to completely blow off the publishing world, and the published world, is extreme.

A couple of other things have happened since last we spoke.

1. I watched 'Gorky Park' with William Hurt, Lee Marvin, and Brian Dennehy. Disappointing. I was hoping for more "cold war" in this "cold war thriller." Mostly it was just a "thriller", but not all that thrilling, after all.

2. I wached a heckuva lot of the Olympics. It turns out that the women's 10k biathalon is more exciting than one might think. In fact, the action at the Olympics has been anything but exciting, except for that one event. Basically this entry means that I've been wasting a lot of time.

3. I've been falling asleep at around 10pm every night, getting really tired around 9. I'm sure it's correlated with my decision to go virtually cold turkey on caffeine, given some recurrent heart problems. The no caffeine has helped that stuff, but it sure is making we tired as all get-out.

4. I've discovered that the 'blogosphere' is basically a worthless entity. Not blogs in general, but blogs that think they can provide news and interesting content as an alternative to the traditional media. Sometimes they can, but it's basically just an exercise in wading through polemics. Rarely do I find anything unexpected. Blogger X is a leftist, hates Bush, etc. Blogger Y is a conservative, hates Blogger X, etc. Snore. I can't think of any better source for news than the New York Times.

5. Diesel and Dust is not that great an album. It's not nearly as consistently rocking as Blue Sky Mining.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Castrato said...

It turns out all I wanted was for you to start up the darn fantasy baseball league. And to start posting some more junk on your blog.

9:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home