8.26.2005

I cut myself shaving and they're dropping the bomb.

Today was laundry day, as evidenced by the way-too-short shorts I wore to 7-11 to get bills small enough to put into the change machine. It had been awhile, and very few of my articles of clothing didn't deserve a wash. Anyhow, I got up and out at around 8:30, carrying my heavy basket of laundry the few blocks to the laundromat. (I should note that the alley behind my apartment complex could get me to the 'mat much more quickly, but is disgusting. This will be relevant later.)

So I get there, and plunk down my $3.75 for three loads into the washer. The machines tell me in big block numbers: 34 minutes. Satisfied, I leave my basket and detergent, and stroll over to the local coffee shop to wait it out. After a reasonably pleasant coffee shop break, I return to the 'mat, where the first two loads of laundry are progressing nicely (3 minutes left each), but the third seems to be, well, going rather slowly (it reads 13 minutes). And by 'slowly', I mean 'nowhere'. The cycle was stuck. Which is definitely unfortunate because at the 13 minute mark, the whole dang thing was filled with water, clothes sopping wet.

Well, I says to meself, you have two options. Option A: wring out your clothes and toss 'em in the dryer. Option B: throw your clothes in neighbor washer, run it again, then throw in dryer. I reasoned that option A wouldn't take any less time than Option B, and potentially more money, so I threw an extra $1.25 into the neighbor washer, the other two loads into the dryer. During which time, I return home, intent on calling SBC to get my bill changed to reflect an un-reflected $35 credit (this is another interesting story which I simply can't go into now; suffice it to say, there's no reason to think that the SBC phone people are any more competent than the SBC DSL people). So, while walking home, I was developing a reasonable fume-level. I mean, after all, I had to spend extra quarters at a time of the month when money's tight, and I have to spend more time shuttling back and forth to the 'mat in the middle of an unprecedented San Diego heat wave. (And I do mean unprecedented; it's freaking hot.) In addition, I had to throw most of my good clothes into another wash cycle, which can't be good for them.

As I'm fuming, walking back to my place, a gigantic possum jumps out at me from behind a fence! I swear, the son of a bitch was on a mission, and the mission had something to with his teeth and my legs. He took off after I stomped a bit, but man, that thing...freaky.

Time passes.

I go back to the laundry to collect my dryer items and change over the problematic load. As I'm emptying the dryers, the washer with my other clothes stops. 0 minutes. I continue removing my clothes from the dryer. I look over at the washer again. 31 minutes. Hmm...that's not right...ACK! IT STARTED OVER AUTOMATICALLY! I run over there, but by the time I got there, the thing had filled all the way up with water AGAIN. Ugh. So this time, I went with option A, which left most of my clothes reasonably damp at the end of a 50 minute dryer session. Some days, you know? It's the little things.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Castrato said...

Dale, remind me sometime to tell you the story of why one should NEVER do laundry in the city of Geneva, Switzerland. It involves heavy, wet clothes stuff in backpacks all the way to Rome.

1:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home