1.13.2005

The Cure by, coincidentally, The Cure

Just purchased The Cure's new album. I have a few thoughts on it. The first is that, though a lot of people have been comparing this album to Disintegration, it really sounds a lot more, to me, like Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me. The first is a much more lush-sounding record, with really fat synth-pads laying the foundation for nearly every track, while the latter is really guitar-driven, with the keyboards being used mainly as another voice or another melody instrument. I think the tone of the album is also very similar. "Lost", the first track on The Cure, is one of those great angry-Cure album intros, very reminiscent, I think, of "The Kiss" (which, by the way, has my all-time favorite guitar solo as its introduction).

The rest of the album plays out in about the way you would expect. But I have to say, this album is very satisfying. Definitely their most satisfying record since Wish. My only complaint is more about Robert Smith's approach to vocals--he seems to be using the lower register much more these days, which has a tendency to cut the power his vocals always seemed to have. There's no more of the faux-operatic tone he used a lot on Kiss Me, which is a shame. But overall, a nice Cure record, I think.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Castrato said...

dale, did you buy that album on CD or vinyl? my friend andy webb bought the record a while back, because it contains more songs than the CD. and in his opinion, the extra songs are as good or better than anything on the CD. so you might want to check that out. i still dont have either, but i'm not a Cure nerd like you guys.

8:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home