3.10.2007

If you're gonna die, die with your boots on.

Ah, San Diego.

On days like today, it's pretty hard to imagine that in about five months I'll be living in Canada. That's right, jerks. Though I did get two job offers, two awesome job offers, I decided to take the one north of the border. But it's a bit strange on days like today - 75, sunny, gorgeous. It's hard to imagine that in half-a-year's time, I'll get one of these days, well, every other year? Maybe? In San Diego, they're basically three of these bad bouys every week.

So the day I took the job, I sent out a message to a bunch of friends informing them of my decision. Basically, I had been thinking about that email since the day I saw the job offer - how it'd be so funny and stuff. Eh, it wasn't that funny. I hope I didn't take the job just so I could send out this sort-of, mediocre, email. We'll see. I think I didn't, but I did think it was gonna be really funny, especially to a certain group of people. A bit strange, though. A bunch of people responded and that was really nice. Several, however, including a certain person to whom I was once married, haven't so much as made a peep. What gives? If Lonny "Bass" White responded, why couldn't these others? Just kidding. I didn't send it to Lonny. Ah, Lonny.

I know I haven't been posting much recently. I've been letting the stress of the job market wash over me. Now there's a new realm of stress: tenure. I guess I should probably have a month or so to relax before I start sending out articles, but I decided to send our three in the last week anyway! That makes a total of four I have under review right now - one that's been over 10 months in the review process. Sucky! Screw you, Nous!

Anyway, the move to Canada is going to be something of a hassle. I have about a bajillion dollars in student loans, controlled by a US agency that expects to receive US dollars. I, however, will be getting paid in Canadian dollars. (Stands to reason.) Anyway, how the hell is that going to work? Do I really need to open a bank account at the Royal Bank of Canada? (Although that would be damn sweet - the Royal Bank. Ha! Sure as hell beats Citizen's Crank, or whatever I had when I was in Boston.) Ah, monarchy.

When looking back on the job market, what will I remember most? It's hard to say, of course, but one strong possibility will be: Iron Maiden. Surprising, I know. But listen here. I was basically hooked on Maiden while I was filling out my applications, especially Seventh Son of a Seventh Son. I remember specifically listening to that sumbitch on repeat while I was writing the seventy-or-so cover letters for these dang applications. To keep my energy up during interview season (don't make fun of me, please; you do weird shit, too) I listened heavily to Powerslave. (I also bought The Number of the Beast, but that one didn't do it so much for me. Maybe it's Clive Burr. Who knows.) I don't have anything like a "Saturation" relationship with The Beast, but I sure did listen to a lot of Maiden while on the market. I wonder if that will stick out, you know, when I listen to "Aces High" ten years from now: "Oh, I remember that crappy application to Cal State Long Beach!" We can all thank Matt Barr for that one.

Ah, metal.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Dude
I don't remember if you alreayd have this, but if you don't, you should definitely pick up Live After Death. Its pretty much the best live album ever made. It came out after Powerslave, but before Somewhere in Time & Seventh Son. Its got all the mad hits from the first 5 albums though and, some of it was recorded at Long Beach Arena, so Bruce is always yelling "Scream for me, Long Beach!!" Its heavenly.

8:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home