12.03.2004

True, False, Neither.....Both?

It's easy to understand that a sentence is either true or false. Somewhat more difficult to understand is when a sentence is neither true nor false. In fact, classical logic simply denies the possibility of such sentences. But there may be some reason for thinking that they exist--consider future contingent sentences like "I will dance the night away tomorrow night." Surely it will be true or false tomorrow night, but does that sentence have any truth value today? Or consider vague sentences like "He's bald" said of some moderately balding person. Perhaps in those cases, there is neither a true nor false answer.

But could there be sentences that are both true and false? In the abstract, that sounds ok, but the problem is, this opens the door to the existence of true contradictions. So, let's say P is true and false. Well, that means ~P is also true. So that means that P & ~P is true. Well, there ya' go. True contradiction.

Graham Priest spoke today and suggested we ought to believe in true contradictions. His evidence? Take the following sentence. "This sentence is false." Well, if it's false, it's true, and if it's true, it's false. Problem. Well, you could say it's neither true nor false. But then what do you say of this sentence: "This sentence is either false or (neither true nor false)". Well, if it's true, it's false. If it's false, it's true, and if it's neither true nor false, it's true. Problem reappears. So why not say it's both?

Interesting argument. But I'm not sure I buy it. I'd rather, I think, go with other solutions to the Liar Paradox, insofar as I know what those are.

3 Comments:

Blogger Shelby said...

Wow, so this is what passes for philosophy these days?

Reminds me of the schroedinger's(sp?) cat thing. Coincidentally, my cat is _presumably_ asleep on the floor right--now and I can't tell one way or t'other.

8:15 PM  
Blogger dd0031 said...

Hey man, that's some straight-up philosophical dope.

1:02 PM  
Blogger Bacillus said...

After reading these postings, I am quickly finding my life to be as important as a pimple on my dogs back.

5:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home